Organic refers to the way farmers raise and process the olives. It covers the use of potentially harmful substances.
Our Olive grove Cortijo el Puerto is 100% Organic & Biodynamic Certified. Organic certification agencies like CAAE or Demeter, monitor the farms and do frequent check-ups. It excludes the use of artificial fertilisers, the pesticides, and all sorts of other harmful chemicals. But its is not only a question of excluding but adding up…this is why here you have 10 good reasons to choose Organic & Biodynamic EVOO Cortijo el Puerto:
1. Olive oil is widely recognised as one of the world’s healthiest oils. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is the highest quality olive, extracted from the olive fruit without the use of any heat or chemicals. When you consider the major factors that influence how an oil reacts to high temperatures – oxidative stability and ratio of monounsaturated fats – Extra Virgin Olive Oil is number one. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is rich in beneficial antioxidants such as tocopherols and hydroxytyrosol. The natural extraction process used to produce it ensures to retain all the nutrients and antioxidants from the olive fruit. In particular, it contains over 30 various types of phenolic compounds, which are powerful antioxidants that help protect the body against free radicals. Free radicals are molecules that cause cell damage and contribute to disease and the aging process. Besides, by opting for certified organic olive oil like ours, you encourage the conscientious producers who care about the environment.
2. Sun, a good rest and Mediterranean diet … a great combination for summer vacations. Gazpacho, multiple combinations of salads, breads, fish … people tend to live longer and healthier lives in regions where olive oil is a staple part of the diet. We propose you a small tour of this delicious food pattern and some eco-recipes, natural and healthy with Organic EVOO Cortijo el Puerto.… Mediterranean Diet is based on the region’s traditional fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, seafood, dairy and olive oil. It is also a nutritional model so universally appreciated that belongs to the cultural, historical, social, territorial and environmental lifestyle of us, the Mediterranean people. The EVOO is an ideal complement in our daily for its biological value. This influences both the maturation and quality of the olive, the soil where it comes from, the treatments and the technology or machinery used. Cortijo el Puerto knows the potential of organic farming in achieving environmental improvements as well as animal welfare, and of course, organic food of high nutritional value. We are not only talking about cooking or eating fresh, wholesome food, moreover, physical activity and sharing meals with others!!!.
The Mediterranean diet features olive oil as the primary source of fat. The EVOO is rich in vitamins A, D, E and K. It favours the absorption of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and zinc. One spoonful of extra virgin olive oil a day offers 60 calories without cholesterol, provides antioxidants and a part of the recommended dose of vitamin E. Numerous studies investigate its multiple properties.
3. Cooking With Extra Virgin Olive Oil Can Make Your Food More Nutritious!!!: Many studies show that cooking with Extra Virgin Olive Oil can even increase the nutrient content of your food. This is because the antioxidants in Extra Virgin Olive Oil are so resistant to high heat that they don’t break down and instead end up being absorbed by the cooked food. In addition, it also helps the cooked food to retain some nutrients that are usually lost through cooking. Picual or Hojiblanca variety are ideal for that. Here you can find another post with tasting notes and pairing.
4. Taste: Extra Virgin Olive Oil is also more practical for cooking because it comes in a variety of different flavour profiles (much like wine) and can complement both sweet and savoury dishes. Our wide range of 8 different olive varieties is a noticeble innovation in the world EVOO market, significantly expanding its olive-diversity: 100% Organic and Biodynamic Arbequina, Arbosana, Picual, Koroneiki, Picudo, Hojiblanca, Chiquitita and Oliana. Each oil variety has got a personality, smell and special flavour. They are perfect raw, stimulating our senses by its strong personality, what allows us to pair each plate with its ideal variety in order to appreciate nuances, aromas, flavours and organoleptic sensations of the different mono-varietals.
5. Biodynamic: Beyond ecological modelling, we focus to get a more rigorous organic farming. In this agriculture we seek to integrate plants with people and animals. Biodynamics could also be called an “organic Plus” agriculture. considering the farm as an ecosystem where we can create optimal conditions in the soil and the farm, interrelating the different agents and enriching and balancing them. We also use livestock manures to sustain plant growth (recycling of nutrients), maintenance and improvement of soil quality, and the health and well being of crops and animals. We also foster the biodiversity of both flora and fauna, and enhance the biological cycles and the biological activity of the soil. Unlike the mass-produced products you can find in your local supermarket, Our Organic & Biodynamic Extra Virgin Olive Oils are produced in small amounts and only sold in their freshest state. That is quite noticeable by the taste, though it also reflects on the health benefits!
6. The Green Crew. Our project requires a human team committed to a green philosophy that will add value to traditional agriculture. Our group of workers, comprised of a foreman and a team of laborers help to nourish the land and produce flavoursome organically grown food, in healthy environment. On the other hand, our passion and desire to “empathize” with nature, as well as our commitment to the excellence quality of our olive oil and almonds, leads us to select the best advisers, technicians, researchers and nursery companies in the sector. On the other hand, Non-organic farming directly affects the workers and their families’ health and it doesn’t even make a price or quality difference for the end consumer. It is known the workers exposed to pesticides are at a high risk of acute intoxication. They are also potentially prone to developping deadly disease due to their chronic exposure. We are 100% Organic and we like to think we are a team: Nature and workers and both working in a healthy way
Organic olive oil is not just good for you. It is also incredibly beneficial to the environment. If more people were to go organic, we would be living a cleaner and healthier life
7. Certified: For an olive oil to be called organic, it should be certified by an organization. These third-party associations run frequent checks on producers. Their list of requirements is extensive but unlike the olive oil grade certification process, it has to do with the crop, not with the pressing and refining processes. Here you have some of the requirements for organic olive oil:
Avoid any synthetic chemical inputs – this includes fertiliser and pesticides but also irradiation, and the use of sewage sludge
Avoid GMO seeds (genetically modified organisms are yet to gain our trust and until then it’s best to avoid them)
Use farmland free from prohibited chemical inputs for a number of years – this ensures all traces of harmful chemicals will be erased and will not make their way to the olives
Keep detailed records and agree to frequent audits
Separate the organic products from non-certified products
This, along with the on-site inspections, ensures that organic olive oil only comes from the best and cleanest producers.
We are also certified by Demeter, the largest certification organization for biodynamic agriculture. A farm with Olive, Almond and Citrus grove, framed in a global biodiversity recovery and regeneration environmental project. A more rigorous organic farming. In this agriculture we seek to integrate plants with people and animals. Biodynamics could also be called an “organic Plus” agriculture.
8. It’s Basically Olive Fruit Juice: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil is produced very simply. The same applies to regular Extra Virgin Olive Oil, because these grades are produced in the same way — the only difference is how the olives are grown. To make our Organic & Biodynamic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, you simply grind the olives into a paste and spin that paste to extract the liquid from the olives: one part of that liquid is water, and the other part is oil:fresh squeezed fruit juice, Green Biodynamic Gold Cortijo el Puerto. This year’s olive juices are a true tribute to nature. A product of a rich and balanced ecosystem, that is noticeable in its quality and flavour.
9. EHE: A question of Ecology, Health and Ethics: To talk about Cortijo el Puerto Organic & Biodynamic Extra Virgin Olive Oils is to talk about Ecology and Innovation, Biodiversity and Quality, Green Economy and Environmental Sustainability. It is philosophy of life. It is a higher step in organic farming. This is a model able to answer the great challenges that the agricultural sector is already facing: scarcer rainfall, more degraded soils due to abuse and neglect and a demand for higher quality food as well as long-term sustainability.understanding soils and ecosystem interactions, producing food in a healthier way and with higher quality. It means a guarantee for you!
10. Try and tell. We can give you many more reasons: Cortijo el Puerto’s commitment to biodiversity and ecology encompasses both flora and fauna, therefore we are organic certified in both Agriculture and Livestock.Our ecological project advocates for biodiversity and quality, supporting threatened and endangered species of both animals and plants… reflection of biodiversity and ecosystem integration, we have chosen as image of each olive variety, one of the animals of the farm, normally linked to its habitat area…but you can know more by reading about us, visiting us….and of course, tasting these delicious olive juices…
Dare to taste the difference